Who doesn't like a compliment? Famous writer, Mark Twain once said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment." Complimenting someone takes only 10 seconds but it can make a person feel good for days. It always feels nice to compliment people or to be complimented on, however, sometimes a compliment could also offend someone. Here are some ways you could express a compliment. Pay attention to the underlined words used to compliment someone and try using them on someone you want to acknowledge!
- Be genuine and sincere (mean what you say!)
- Be cautious when giving compliments! Don't become the man in the picture above who wanted to make his new wife happy but ended up making her mad!
- Keep your spontaneous compliments short. A good compliment shouldn't take long to say!
- Compliment and acknowledge their efforts! "Great job on the test! I can tell you studied really hard for it."
- Don't compliment someone by making a comparison. "The lasagne you cooked tonight is much better than the one you made last week." This will just make them feel bad!
The best way to get better at giving compliments is to get lots of practice! Get ready and give someone a compliment today!